JK Simmons Workout Routine And Diet
JK Simmons has one of the most recognizeable faces in Hollywood.
And, this 67 year old American actor doesn’t just having acting chops. In fact, in his recent roles, JK Simmons has been showing off some serious biceps and an impressive physique.
So, how did this actor get in such great shape depsite his age? And, what does the JK Simmons workout routine look like?
This post is exploring exactly how this iconic actor trains as well as JK Simmons’ approach to dieting.
Let’s get to it!
About JK Simmons
JK Simmons, full for Jonathan Kimble Simmons, is an American actor who is best known for his appearances in roles like the Spider Man trilogy, Law and Order, and The Closer.
Since his acting debut in 1987, the renowned actor has appeared in more than 200 films and television shows, collecting a seemingly never-ending number of awards in the process.
JK Simmons was born on January 9, 1955, in Michigan, U.S. He graduated from the University of Montana for music, so nothing related to fitness by any means.
Simmons developed a keen interest in theater later in his life.
After participating in various plays enacted at Seattle Repertory Theater, JK Simmons won the audience’s hearts in his first appearance in the musical Birds of Paradise in 1987.
Apart from being a well-known actor, JK Simmons is also a voice artist, and so we find him voicing in some of the world’s most cherished movies of all time.
Behind the voice of Yellow M&M is also JK Simmons and so the voice of Cave Johnson in the video game Portal 2 (2011), Tenzin in The Legend of Korra (2012–2014), Kai in Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016), Mayor Leodore Lionheart in Zootopia (2016), Pig Baby in HBO Max animated series Infinity Train S4 (2021) and more – all are voiced by Simmons!
These are impressive acting accolades.
But, after getting seriously ripped for his appearance in Justice League in 2017, it’s clear JK Simmons is more than just an actor.
For a man in his sixties, there’s no denying that JK Simmons is in great shape.
So, the question is: how does JK Simmons workout?
JK Simmons Bodybuilding Stats
Before we jump into the JK Simmons workout routine, it’s useful to understand some of his bodybuilding stats for a point of reference.
JK Simmons stats include:
- Birth Place: Grosse Pointe, Michigan, United States
- Occupation: Stage actor, film actor, voice-artist
- Height: 1.78 m (5.83 ft)
- Birthday: January 9, 1955.
- Age: 67 years
- Weight: 79 kg – 174.16 lbs (pounds)
- Awards: Golden Globe Award, Academy Award, Critics Choice Award, BAFTA Award, Screen Actors Guild Award
- Body Type: Slim
- Chest: 40 Inches (101.6 cm)
- Waist: 32 Inches (81.28 cm)
- Biceps: 14 Inches (35.56 cm)
As you can see, Simmons is around average height and has a fairly lean build,
Now, let’s take a look at the JK Simmons workout in greater detail so you can see how this incredible actor hits the gym.
JK Simmon Workout Routine
In 1997, JK Simmons realized he was fairly out-of-shape figure while playing the character Vern in Oz.
Still, the decision to get back to his physical fitness took more than a decade, and a major driving force was Simmons’ sudden increase in weight, almost 250 pounds in 2009.
After the divorce, Simmons decided to take his fitness seriously and to get back on track.
At the time, Simmons was training with personal trainer Dana Perry to improve his fitness level and muscle mass.
However, his recent physique and vascular build is a result of intense training under the guidance of Aaron Williamson – a famous fitness trainer in the film and entertainment world who is known for bringing dramatic changes in the bodies of actors and athletes.
Aaron Williamson has designed two workout plans for JK Simmons.
The first one covers the chest abs and the back, while the second workout focuses on arms and abs.
Here are two different JK Simmons workout routines you can try if you want to train like this awesome actor.
Workout 1: Chest, Abs, And Back
The first JK Simmons workout is an upper-body focused workout that hits three muscle groups as well as abs:
All the exercises in the workout have specific sets and reps, so nothing new there.
However, Simmons trains with a lot of supersets, and you should complete these with minimal rest to really push yourself.
At most, aim for 45 seconds of rest after you complete a set.
Warming-up is also necessary before moving on to the exercise. Try doing:
- Some dynamic stretching exercises
- Elliptical training at 140 BPM for at least 10 minutes
Once you’re done working out, you’re ready to hit the workout!
Here are the exercises and supersets you can follow for this first JK Simmons workout.
- Flat Dumbbell Press (4 x 10.)
- Superset with flat reverse grip dumbbell press.
- Machine Chest Press (4 x 10-12.)
- Superset with cable crossovers.
- Wide-Grip Lat Pulldowns (4 x 10-12.)
- Superset with hammer grip pulldowns.
- Hammer Strength Row (4 x 10-12.)
- No superset.
- Supermans (4 x 10.)
- No superset.
- Ab finisher circuit you can complete as fast as possible.
- Crunches (4 x 15.)
- Hanging Leg Raises (3 x 20.)
- Abdominal Machine Crunch (3 x 12-15.)
- Lying Side Oblique Crunches (3 x 15, each side.)
One thing to note about JK Simmons’ workouts is that intensity is important.
This means going fast, but Simmons’ trainer also encourages really slow negatives.
So, squeeze at the top of a movement, hold it, and let yourself have a slow negative to really make a mind-muscle connection.
Workout 2: Arms And Abs
The second day in Jk Simmons’ workout routine is an arms and abs workout.
This isn’t too surprising when you consider that Simmons’ biceps are probably his most noticeably jacked body part.
Like the first workout day, all of the exercises in this workout should be completed quickly.
There are also supersets like the first workout, and aim for around 45 seconds of rest between sets.
You should also warm up with the same dynamic stretching routine and treadmill or elliptical workout as with the first workout.
Here’s what’s included in the JK Simmons arms and abs workout:
- Standing dumbbell curls with arm blaster (4 x 12-15.)
- Use 5 pounds lighter dumbbells in the fourth set than the ones used in the previous three sets.
- Reduce the weight by 5 pounds after finishing the AMRAP as many times as possible; repeat without rest between sets.
- Standing cable curl (3 x 15.)
- No superset.
- Dumbbell hammer curls (3 x 15.)
- No superset.
- Rope cable tricep pressdowns (4 x 12-15.)
- Superset with overhead rope tricep extensions.
- Dumbbell tricep kickbacks (4 x 10-12.)
- Superset with bodyweight bench dips.
- This is an ab finisher circuit with numerous exercises.
- Forearm Plank (30 seconds.)
- Plank Pushup (30 seconds.)
- Plank Jacks (30 seconds.)
- Side planks with a twist (30 seconds.)
JK Simmon Diet – What Does He Eat?
Nutrition maintains a healthy body, and JK Simmons’s diet comprises low-carb vegetables and lean meat.
He takes one square of dark chocolate for sweeteners or a cheat meal. However, one important aspect of JK Simmons’ diet is that he eats every three hours.
Here are other staples in the JK Simmons diet:
- Breakfast/First Meal: Eggs, Oatmeal
- Snack/Second Meal: Protein Shake
- Lunch/Third Meal: Lean meat
- Snack/Fourth Meal: Protein Shake, Chocolate
- Dinner/Fifth Meal: Lean meat & vegetables
Generally speaking, JK Simmons eats leafy greens, lean proteins, chicken breast, and plenty of vegetables and complex carbs.
Here are some foods JK Simmons avoids:
- Fast Food
- Too much alcohol
- Too many fats
- Processed food
Extra Reading – The Chris Bumstead Workout Routine.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Has JK Simmons Been Training?
JK Simmons has been training since 2009. His intense bodybuilding training started with trainer Dana Perry, but his recent body transformation was achieved with the help of Aaron Williamson.
How Many Days A Week Does JK Simmons Workout?
JK Simmons workout two to three times a week. However, you should note that he is 67 years old, and Aaron Williamson sets the workout routine according to his body needs.
Extra Reading – The Matthew McConaughey Workout Routine.
Hopefully, this breakdown of the JK Simmons workout plan and diet helps you crush your fitness goals and build some amazing arms and abs like this actor.
When not many can survive hitting the gym in old age, JK Simmons has become an inspiration for fitness freaks worldwide.
So, how about your workout plan?
If you plan on taking inspiration from JK Simmons’s routines, make sure you exercise and take dietary intake according to your age and body type!
Looking for other intense workouts to try? Checkout: